Eyeglass adds custom tags to all received syslog messages and adds alarms, events, inventory data to logs to expand on what is available to 3rd party logging applications.
Log View provides access to Local as well as Remote Logging Services.
Figure 0 Logging Architecture
To access Log View, Single Click on Log View Icon from the Desktop or Go to Eyeglass Appliance webui on the bottom left of the page and select logging options from there.
The Logging window should then appear on the page. We will see two main Options:
- Local Logs
- Remote Logging Services
Local Logs provides access to Eyeglass Main Log File and VCE Vision Intelligent Operations Syslogs (only if Vblock discovery license is installed and a Vblock is added as a managed device).
To access Local Logs, Single click on Local Logs on Logging window.
On the Label next to Select Log Field, Click on the drop down list which will display the available log – Eyeglass Main log and VCE Vision IO Syslog. . Select the Log type you want to view.
We can choose to fetch or watch the selected log.
Fetch: Fetch offers us the whole Log file with required System details helping us to review in its entirety.
Watch: Watch offers us the capability of live watching the logs in real time of selected Log and updates dynamically if new log messages are received.
Figure 4 : Fetch Operation on VCE Vision Intelligent Operations Syslog
Remote Logging Services
Remote Logging Services creates connection between Eyeglass appliance and third Party Log Management Application and makes the log data visible via third party product. These Third Party Log Management Application provides powerful search feature and advanced log analytics with detailed log Summary, Report generation etc.
A remote Logging License Key must be installed to be able to add a remote logging server.
- To access Remote Logging Services, Single click on Remote Logging Services on Log View Interface.
- Click on Add Remote Log Consumer to add Remote Log Management Application.
- Fill in the required Connection Parameters and Select the Log Consumer Type you wish to access. The default port is 514. You can replace it with the port number as required.
- When done, Single click on Submit. The Remote Log Consumer you just added will be displayed on Remote Logging Services Interface.
- Click on the IP address of the Log Consumer Type you wish to access. You will then be directed to the web UI based on what you selected.