This Tech Note covers the following topics:
- Role of the Eyeglass configuration replication Job vs the Isilon SyncIQ Policy Job
- Which shares/exports are covered by Eyeglass configuration replication Jobs
- How to see the details for an Eyeglass configuration replication Job
This Tech Note applies to:
- Eyeglass Isilon Edition R1.1
Role of Eyeglass configuration replication Job vs the Isilon SyncIQ Policy Job
Eyeglass configuration replication Job: The role of the Eyeglass configuration replication Jobs is to replicate Isilon share and export configuration parameters. For example:
- SMB Share Home Directory Provisioning settings
- SMB Share File and Directory Permissions settings
- SMB Share Users and Groups
- SMB Share Performance settings
- SMB Share Security settings
- NFS Export permission settings
- NFS Export Performance settings
- NFS Export Client Compatibility settings
- NFS Export Export Behavior settings
Important! The Eyeglass Jobs do not manage replication of data between Isilon clusters.
OneFS SyncIQ Policy: The OneFS SyncIQ Policy provides the mechanism to define a strategy to replicate data from the source Isilon cluster (where the SyncIQ Policy is defined) SyncIQ Policy Source Root Directory to the target Isilon cluster Target Directory.
An Isilon SyncIQ license is required on source and destination for data replication.
Which shares/exports are covered by Eyeglass configuration replication Jobs
An Eyeglass instance can manage one Isilon cluster pair. For each Isilon cluster managed by the Eyeglass instance, Eyeglass performs a discovery task to learn:
- inventory of all provisioned shares and their properties
- inventory of all provisioned exports and their properties
- inventory of all SyncIQ policies and their properties
- inventory of all Zones and their association to shares and exports (where applicable)
For each SyncIQ policy that is discovered, Eyeglass automatically creates an Eyeglass configuration replication Job. This Eyeglass configuration replication Job is associated with all shares and/or exports related to all data protected by its associated SyncIQ policy. There are no manual steps required to setup this Job.
Within the Eyeglass Job, shares are uniquely identified by the combination of share name and zone name. Exports are uniquely identified by the combination of all paths associated with the export in Isilon release 7.1.1 and by the combination of all paths and zone name in Isilon release 7.2 and higher. Eyeglass uses the Source Root Directory in the SyncIQ Policy and compares this path to the paths defined for all shares and exports on the source cluster. All shares and exports which match the Source Root Directory and all shares and exports that are related to a Source Root Directory sub-directory are associated with the Eyeglass replication configuration job.
It is possible to define within Isilon two identical exports on the same path, with different user groups. This configuration is not be supported in Eyeglass Isilon Edition Release 1.1.
An Isilon cluster (Demo-711-1) has following shares and exports defined:
ifs System: /ifs
s1 System: /ifs/data/dir_1
s2 Zone2: /ifs/data/dir_2
s2a System: /ifs/data/dir_2/a
Demo-711-1 also has the following SyncIQ Policies defined:
Source Root Directory: /ifs/data/dir_1
Source Root Directory: /ifs/data/dir_2
After performing the discovery task, Eyeglass automatically creates the following configuration replication Jobs that cover the following shares:
How to see the details for an Eyeglass configuration replication Job
You can view the details for Eyeglass configuration replication Jobs from the Eyeglass web page.
Relationship between SyncIQ Policy and Eyeglass configuration replication Job
Eyeglass Jobs created from SyncIQ policies use following naming convention:
<Source Isilon Cluster Name>_<SyncIQ Policy Name>
From the previous example, Eyeglass configuration replication Jobs are called:
Use the Data Protection window to see Eyeglass configuration replication Job and SyncIQ Policy together in same view.
Shares protected by an Eyeglass configuration replication Job
Use the Jobs/Job Definitions window to see the list of shares and exports protected by an Eyeglass configuration replication Job.
- Select Jobs.
- Select Job Definitions.
- Select a policy by checking the checkbox beside the policy name.
- Expand Select a bulk action and then select Edit Configuration(s).
The Inventory View window opens with an additional column for the selected policy. Expand the tree for nfs and smb and you will see which shares and export configurations are being replicated.